domenica 1 febbraio 2009

Sometimes Life Reveals Little Surprises



On several occasions, Lizard and I have just looked at each other and laughed because of the little surprises that life has thrown us over the past week. We have found ourselves dining with a boy from Argentina named Gustavo, chasing after trains with broken luggage, and following crazy Australians around Rome.

So we finally arrived in Florence. I had no sleep, no money, and no idea what to expect. Lizard and I caught a taxi to the SAI office, there we received the keys to our apartment and our new cell phones. I am constantly thankful for Lizard’s innate ability to get around cities and find train stations. There are times I feel completely helpless and clueless, I am thankful for my little Italian speaking friend.

The SAI office said that our apartment was just a four minute walk away, so we decided we could just walk there with no problem because we had already carried our luggage all through Rome. But this last walk to our apartment almost did me in. I did not know if I could carry my broken luggage over any more cobble stone roads without dying.

We finally found our apartment. In our excitement to see our new living situation we left our luggage at the bottom and ran up the concrete staircase to our apartment. Before we even entered the apartment I was already in love with it. I loved the stained concrete steps. They seemed to hold so much story to them, like many of the cobble stone roads and other old buildings. Their cracks and crevices revealed their long lifetime.



Our front door does not have a handle and the key is so oddly shaped. The key looks like it should unlock an old treasure chest buried in deep in the ocean and in a way the key did exactly that. This key opened up one of the neatest treasures of my adventures in Italy. Our little apartment is so beautiful, small, and quaint. Our apartment is more than I could have hoped for.



Lizard and I share a lofted room. As long as I can remember I have begged my parents to loft my bed then begged my roommates at Baylor to let me use my wood skills to make a loft in our house. My dreams of living in a tree house are now fulfilled! We have a large window in our room that looks like something from Snow White. It is wooden and made with old glass that latches with a piece of old metal.

There is a song by the Weepies called Simple Life that describes my feelings when I am in the apartment. Our kitchen is maybe three feet by three feet. The other night after dinner, my roommates and I found ourselves all trying to fit into the small area to clean the dishes which resulted in a combustion of laughter. Even for its small size we have done very well with cooking very good meals.





Little things are slightly different here, like flushing the toilet. In our little bathroom we have to flush by pulling this string above our toilet. And to ventilate the bathroom we have to open a small window in our bathroom. The hot water does not last long, and we have to take quick showers! I just did my laundry and it was so weird to hang all my clothes out the window. This morning I had to rush to get them off the line because it was beginning to rain. The little things are so wonderfully different.

I have come to the realization that I flirt in the same manner as an Italian man. At home, when I am driving by myself, I enjoy trying to pick up guys at stoplights. I think it is the same thing here. The guys just like to see if they can get your attention. It is so fun. Oh, and the other day, I saw this guy with dreadlocks carrying a guitar and of course, I decided to follow him. I laughed when I realized that this, too, is an action of an Italian man.

Also, Lizard and I really want to meet an Italian friend so we can get a ride on one of these cool scooters! Everyone drives them! How fun!



I wanted to add this picture to the blog because Lizard looks o so bella!



This beautiful church is right next to our house. We pass it everyday!



Lizard and I went for a walk and ended up here!





My roommates and I have made a recent discovery that has changed our lives…Nutella. We decided to write an ode to it and we wanted to share it with you:

Ode to Nutella

Sweet, o so sweet,
Why not sooner did we meet?
The very presence your scent,
Chocolate-hazelnut, begins my descent.
More and more I desire,
The sweet taste of your attire

When I dip into you,
Parts of me become anew.
Parts of you seem to remain,
In the crevasse of my domain.

On my lip you will stay,
Until, my saliva melts you away.
Why must your stay be short lived?
When there is much more you could have gived.
I need no other to satisfy,
Please be replenished or I will die.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento